[developers] labels, anchors and handles, oh my! (and ARG0s too)

Joshua Crowgey jcrowgey at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 5 20:27:23 CET 2015

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the very helpful replies.  I have two follow-ups:

1) How do you build the scope tree with only anchors?  I understood the
example with the in-gs that I saw in one of your papers, but I don't
think I ran across the alternative way to constrain scope interpretation
(I may have simply overlooked it).

2) I think I'm really enticed by what you said here:

> I would be very careful about explaining what
> you're doing in that case, however, because the notion of event used
> by Parsons et al is not at all the same as the notion of
> characteristic variable - the ideas overlap, but are distinct. I've
> talked about this but not written it up - I'll see if there are some
> slides somewhere which might be helpful.

I think I've received this warning in the past---to be careful not to
conflate these ideas---but I don't think I ever found the rest of the
story.  If you find those slides, I'd really like to know more.

Thanks a lot for these helpful pointers,

--Joshua