[developers] predicate naming in MRS

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 28 21:53:50 CET 2015

Hi Stephan, developers,

As you've noted, we've discussed this in previous summits (
http://moin.delph-in.net/SofiaMrsRfc?highlight=%28case+sensitive%29) and
email threads (e.g.,
http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/developers/2007/000804.html) . It would
be nice to make our different codebases more consistent.

>From the pyDelphin side, I try, as much as possible, to retain the original
form of preds, but comparisons normalize the values. Thus, if pyDelphin
reads in "_Cat_n_1_rel" it will output "_Cat_n_1_rel", but a comparision
with "_cat_n_1_rel" should return True (see below). This is because
pyDelphin relies on external tools like the LKB and ACE, and therefore it
tries hard to speak their respective MRS dialects. For example, StringPreds
(both single- and double-quoted) and RealPreds are equivalent:

```python
>>> from delphin.mrs import Pred
>>> Pred.stringpred('_cat_n_1_rel') == Pred.realpred(lemma='cat', pos='n',
sense='1')
True
>>> Pred.stringpred('"_cat_n_1_rel"') == Pred.stringpred('_cat_n_1_rel')
True
>>> Pred.stringpred('"_cat_n_1_rel"') == Pred.stringpred('\'_cat_n_1_rel')
True
>>> Pred.stringpred('_cat_n_1_rel') == '"_cat_n_1_rel"'  # compare to
regular strings, for convenience
True
```

However, Preds in the current version of pyDelphin are case-sensitive:

```python
>>> Pred.stringpred('_cat_n_1_rel') == Pred.stringpred('_Cat_n_1_rel')
False
```

I've filed a bug for this (https://github.com/delph-in/pydelphin/issues/45)
and implemented a fix. I'll hold off checking in the fix until we've
reached consensus in this thread.

(Also, in investigating this, I found that pyDelphin was not robustly
dealing with other case differences:
https://github.com/delph-in/pydelphin/issues/44)

Perhaps you can confirm the following:
  * Predicates (string or otherwise) are always case-insensitive
  * Other strings (CARG and surface values) are case-sensitive
  * Everything else in SimpleMRS (rargnames, variables, variable property
names and values, HCONS/ICONS relations, things like "LTOP" and "RELS",
etc.) are case-insensitive
  * The XML format of MRS may have case-sensitive things (tag names, etc),
following the rules for XML

Thanks for bringing this up. It helped me find some issues with pyDelphin
that I thought I'd already addressed.