[developers] predicate naming in MRS

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 28 23:54:41 CET 2015

Before going any further, I would like to ask Dan whether he intends to
keep proper names, abbreviations etc as having CARG values?  I recall a
suggestion at the last Summit that the named_rel/CARG approach should be
changed.  The relevance of this is that I think it would be a mistake to
lose case information for such words (which will usually have
auto-generated entries).

The case issue also relates to treating the predicates as having a
three-part structure (lexeme/pos/sense) throughout the codebase (with an
option to allow simpler names for toy grammars).  This is something we
have been discussing for a long time ... I believe that this is the
right way to look at predicate symbols in *MRS - i.e., as an additional
annotation on lexemes.  There would be advantages to doing this in the
grammar - it allows for alternations that change sense to be implemented
in lexical rules.  If we do this, then the lexeme part should reflect
the conventional spelling, which might include case variation (and,
naturally, non-ASCII characters).

(This would complicate the use of predicates for selection in the
grammar (reflecting the current type/string split), but I think there
are cleaner ways to handle this.  The need to check each lexical entry
to see whether the value of the predicate is a string or not is a pain
from the perspective of the generator interface anyway.)

Anyway, I would prefer to make any changes to the main body of the Lisp
MRS code myself, since I am currently working on this.  I am, of course,
not going to touch the MT code ...

All best,

Ann