[developers] predicate naming in MRS

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Tue Dec 29 01:00:49 CET 2015

Hi Stephan,

I’m afraid I have to undermine your scaffold very slightly.  Although ACE preserves case and quoting distinctions internally, users are at least partially shielded from this internal record, in the following ways:

1.  ACE can, in fact, generate quite happily from an MRS with PREDs that are quoted differently from the values found in the ERG.  There appears to be a secondary issue preventing inputs with quoted quantifiers from generating (I try to build an AVM representing that EP, which cannot be made well-formed, because quant_or_wh_relation says PRED is an abstract_q_rel), but a user who didn’t know what convention is used in the ERG could choose to never quote, and expect good results.

2.  The ACE generator manages to ignore case on unquoted PRED values but not for quoted ones.  This is somewhat accidental behavior (resulting from conversion to and from AVMs), but to my point of view, kind of felicituous.  Arguably it should always ignore case -- pending others’ thoughts on the point Ann made about proper names.

3. Similarly, ACE ignores quoting differences when performing MRS comparisons, so _downtown_a_1_rel and "_downtown_a_1_rel" are considered equivalent e.g. in the post-generation subsumption test.  In MRS comparison, case *is* in fact also ignored currently.

I currently fail to be similarly generous about matching transfer rules, although it probably wouldn’t be excessively difficulty to extend the behavior to that domain.

I welcome proposals for improvements to the above behavior. :-)

Merry Christmas and happy new year,
-Woodley