[developers] predicate naming in MRS

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 31 20:38:52 CET 2015

Hi all,

On 31/12/2015 01:16, Michael Wayne Goodman wrote:
> Hi again, Stephan and all,
>
> Sorry to focus more on the case-sensitivity issue when you were more
> interested in the string-vs-type issue. For pyDelphin, type predicates
> are equivalent to both double-quoted and single-open-quoted
> predicates. That is,  _dog_n_1_rel == '_dog_n_1_rel == "_dog_n_1_rel".
> I think we've settled on that being the correct behavior, but I'm
> prepared to reintroduce the distinction (if we decide that we want
> string preds to maintain case distinctions, for example).

I thought we'd agreed not to use the single quote syntax sometime around
the turn of the millenium ...  Anyway, I definitely do not think the
user should need to be aware of the string/non-string distinction, so if
that's the main point of the discussion, all seem to be in agreement.

> I've created a wiki page for the specification of predicates:
> http://moin.delph-in.net/PredicateRfc . I filled it out with what I
> know from our conversations and from my own experience.
>
> I would also like clarification on the status of grammar predicates.
> They supposedly don't have internal structure, but I actually need to
> rely on the POS value for determining if a pred is a quantifier pred
> (e.g., udef_q_rel). I've made pyDelphin decompose grammar preds in the
> same way as regular (i.e. real- and string-) preds so that I can check
> POS.

quantifiers are treated specially in the MRS Lisp code and that actually
predates the tripartite structure.  But e.g., my scoping code does not
rely on the _q_rel but uses the presence of a feature which is
specifiable by the grammar writer and defaults to BODY. Or a grammar
writer can define a list of quantifiers.  Incidentally, you can check
stuff like this by looking at the mrsglobals.lisp file, which has some
documentation.

I don't think we at any point decided the gpreds in general could or
should have POS.  In fact, it should be possible, because they are all
supposed to mimic real lexical predicates - e.g., compound_rel behaves
like a preposition.  But making that change would be a pain for everyone
who is using the *MRS output (perhaps unless a convertor was also
supplied to back-convert *MRS to the existing gpred vocabulary).

> Also, for grammar preds like compound_rel, I've been treating
> "compound" as the lemma field (even if that's not entirely accurate),
> but http://moin.delph-in.net/RmrsPos says it's the sense field.

I was surprised that you said this - I looked at the wiki page and I
think the use of `sense' in the description of the gpred format is an
inadvertent repetition rather than being meaningful.  All it's supposed
to say is there is some string of characters followed by _rel.  Thinking
of it as corresponding to any of the fields is a mistake - gpreds should
just be treated differently, as they are in the .dtd

> I can change pyDelphin to call it the sense, but I see plenty of
> variation in grammar-pred structure for the ERG (particularly the last
> two in this list):

I'd say that's ok because we've never defined any structure for the
gpreds ...

> There's some more discussion here (ERG-specific, perhaps):
> http://moin.delph-in.net/ErgSemantics/Basics#Predicate_Types_.28And_Naming_Conventions.29

My problem with this document is not so much that it's ERG-specific but
that it is in contradiction to the MRS paper in various places. Which is
unfortunate.

All best,

Ann