[developers] Dropped arguments in DMRS

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 12 20:38:44 CET 2016

Thanks!

I assume that the unexpressed argument cases like English `eat' are
different from dropped arguments in Spanish (and I guess Japanese)
because these apply across the board rather than being lexically
specific.  I also assume it's clearer to a naive speaker that something
is `missing'.    But I assume that putting back zero-pronouns just for
the case where there's a coindexation is not something that one would
want to try and do in a grammar - it doesn't seem likely it could be
done compositionally and monotonically, if it could be done at all.

Anyway, I will leave it up to others to decide what they want to do, but
let's leave it that I am willing to try and add support directly in DMRS
if that's thought to be helpful.

All best,

Ann