[developers] Dropped arguments in DMRS

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Tue Jan 12 21:58:34 CET 2016

Dear all,

Sorry to be late to the party.  I don't think there's much to add, but just
in case
it's helpful, here's a brief summary of the kinds of cases I know about
from the
Matrix grammarium:

(1) English loves its pronouns.  Many other languages used dropped arguments
where English would put in a pronoun --- this can be specific to certain
positions
(e.g. subjects in Spanish) or independent of argument position (e.g. rampant
pro-drop in Japanese).  Sometimes only certain persons/numbers are droppable
or there can be other constraints.  The argument optionality library in the
Matrix
was developed by Safiyyah Saleem, and is written up in these publications:

Saleem, Safiyyah. 2010. Argument Optionality: A New Library for the Grammar
Matrix Customization System. Masters thesis, University of Washington.
Safiyyah Saleem and Emily M. Bender. 2010. Argument Optionality in the
LinGO Grammar Matrix. Coling 2010: Posters. pp.1068-1076.
http://moin.delph-in.net/MatrixDoc/ArgumentOptionality

(2) As Mike and others have noted, dropped arguments can participate in
control
relations.  The tabe-sugiru `overeat' example isn't great (because Jacy
probably has the
wrong representation of sugiru), but it's easy to construct other examples,
such
as tabe-tai `[subject] wants to eat', and I'm sure the Spanish translation
of such a
sentence would have the same property. For non-subject arguments we could
get such a reentrancy in the case of causatives `tabe-saseru' `x causes y
to eat'.

(2') Depending on the representation of honorifics (as pointed out by
Mike), they
might also fit in under this heading.

(2'') While we're at, there are information structural constraints about
dropped
arguments (you can't drop focus), so we might have reason to posit an
info-str type
ICONS for them.  (I think Sanghoun discusses this in his thesis).

(3) We also see variable properties of dropped arguments recorded in the
morphology
in many languages --- Spanish subject agreement is a familiar example here,
but
we also see it for non-subject arguments in Zulu, Wambaya, Basque and many
others.
If we're worrying about coreference chains, I think we'd want to include
these.

(3') Another kind of variable property to consider is markers of
definiteness/discourse
status.  These are typically associated with the NP directly (choice of
article as in English,
inflection on the head noun as in Scandinavian languages, presence v.
absence of
an accusative case marker in I think Turkish and Farsi), and so wouldn't be
apparent
in the case of dropped arguments, but it may be possible to find cases
where the mark
is on the verb or on another argument.

(4) Trying to extrapolate Fillmore's work on definite/indefinite null
instantiation to
languages like Japanese, my guess is that if there is generally available
(definite)
pro-drop, but that particular predicates might also licenses indefinite
null instantiation,
at least for non-subject arguments. Such that `tabeta' in Japanese could
mean either
`You know who ate you know what' or `You know who ate something, but I
don't expect
you to know what.'  I haven't been able to substantiate this, though.

Possibly relevant (and possibly just naive) is this paper:
Bender, Emily M. and David Goss-Grubbs. 2008. Semantic Representations of
Syntactically Marked Discourse Status in Crosslinguistic Perspective. In
Proceedings of STEP 2008. College Publications.

(5) In Wambaya on variation on dropped arguments is arguments realized
solely
by modifiers.  Many of the examples involve numerals as the modifiers, so
that's
maybe less interesting, but here is a more interesting example (from
Nordlinger, 1998):

(4-158) Wurrudbanyi ngiy-a maganja murlu-ngunya-ni.
 pull 3.SG.NM.A-PST digging.stick.IV(ACC) eye-PROP.II-LOC
 The one that could see got the yam stick.

The suffix glossed PROP is a proprietive suffix which takes a noun and
derives
a modifier meaning `having (noun)'.  So here 'having eyes' means 'can see'.
II is a gender marker agreeing with the unexpressed subject. -LOC
is the case marker (actually ergative) indicating that this is a modifier
of the agent argument of the verb (pull).

Regarding tests, some ideas, though I'm not sure these are what you're
looking
for:

 * Trying to question the dropped argument:

(ia) I already ate.
(ib) What? (meaning what did you eat)

(ii) I already dined.
(iib) #What? (meaning what did you dine on)

Maybe this distinguishes dropped arguments from things that must be there
in the real world but aren't ever licensed as arguments?

 * Using the dropped argument to refer back to a salient element
in the discourse:

(iiia) What happened to the cake?
(iiib) #Kim ate.

Whereas I think this would work fine in Japanese.  Maybe that's because
that's
a pronoun-type dropped argument in Japanese?

... gotta go run and make some slides.

Emily

--
Emily M. Bender