[developers] ICONS and generation

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 17:03:15 CET 2016

I'm part way through getting ICONS support working in Lisp, testing on
the version of the ERG available as trunk. I have a question about
generation.  If I implemented the behaviour described in
http://moin.delph-in.net/IconsSpecs there doesn't seem to be a way of
specifying that I want a `normal' ordering for English.

e.g., if I take the MRS resulting from

that dog, the cat chased.

without ICONS check, there are 5 realizations, including the `null
ICONS' case `The cat chased that dog.'  With an exact ICONS check, I can
select realizations with the same ICONS (modulo order of ICONS elements,
of course, in the case where there's more than one element).  But with
the http://moin.delph-in.net/IconsSpecs behaviour, there's no way of
specifying I want a `normal' order - if I don't give an ICONS, I will
always get the 5 realisations. In fact, as I understand it, I can always
end up with more icons in the realisation than in the input, as long as
I can match the ones in the input.

So:
- is the IConsSpec behaviour what is desired for the ERG (e.g., because
one can rely on the realisation ranking to prefer the most `normal' order)?
- or does the ERG behave differently from Emily and Sanghoun's grammars,
such that different generator behaviour is desirable? and if so, could
we change things so we don't need different behaviours