[developers] ICONS and generation

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Fri Feb 5 17:42:09 CET 2016

I can confirm that under ACE, behavior is what you indicate, i.e. generating from parsing the topicalized feline-canine-playtime I get just the topicalized variant out, but when generating from parsing the ordinary word order I get all 5 variants out.

I believe this was designed to imitate the long-standing condition that the MRS of generation results must be subsumed by the input MRS.  The observed behavior seems to me to be the correct interpretation of the subsumption relation with ICONS involved.  Note that an MRS with an extra intersective modifier would also be subsumed, for example, but such MRS are never actually generated since those modifier lexical entries never make it into the chart.

It’s certainly reasonable to ask whether (this notion of) subsumption is really the right test.  I’ve met lots of folks who prefer to turn that subsumption test off entirely.  I guess it’s also possible that the subsumption test is right for the RELS portion of the MRS but not for the ICONS, though that seems a bit odd to consider.  However, given that we don’t have many ideas about truth-conditional implications of ICONS, maybe not so odd.

I don’t really have much to offer in terms of opinions about what the right behavior should be.  I (believe I) just implemented what others asked for a couple years ago :-)

-Woodley