[developers] ICONS and generation

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Fri Feb 5 23:23:21 CET 2016

hmm, several interesting questions lurking below the surface here, i feel.
 including: (a) does the absence of something (e.g. a topicalization ICONS)
provide information, i.e. serve as a constraint (blocking topicalization),
or is the lack of specific information just underspecification?  and
(b) should the semantics of parsing an unmarked input allow realization of
the marked form(s) too?

as for (b), i would suggest ‘no’ as my preference—if in part for practical
reasons (less ambiguity in the currently most common use case for the
generator).  in other words, i would expect to change something in the
parsing result to obtain an underspecified MRS.  that modification,
ideally, should be interpretable formally as removing a piece of
information.

with TPC and PSV on messages, the grammar did not have to do anything for
the ‘anti’ variables to manifest themselves in the unmarked case: type
inference in the feature structures would always put a minimal ‘u’ variable
there.  composition could then further specify that to an actual instance
variable, when a marked construction was invoked.  making the unmarked
parsing result underspecified, in turn, meant removing the TPC role
altogether.

so, in the above we were taking advantage of the assumption that the
generator never equate distinct variables (skolem forbid).  absence of TPC
is an underspecification of [ TPC u ], but the two variants (contrary to
common belief, maybe) are not equivalent.

i recall that in an earlier version at least, sanghoun and emily postulated
ICONS relations also for the unmarked case, i.e. there always tended to be
very many of them.  this would seem functionally equivalent to how TPC and
PSV worked on messages (always present, for all clauses, in parsing
results—albeit easier to overlook and easier for the grammar to add in the
unmarked case).

i believe i once expressed skepticism about such an ICONS-rich universe on
both aesthetic and practical grounds (pertaining to grammar-internal
mechanics).  i think dan held similar reservations at the time at
least and, thus, in the current ‘trunk’ analysis in the ERG the unmarked
cases do not add anything to the semantics and effectively function as if
they were underspecified.

i am not yet ready to suggest a candidate answer for my question (a) above.
 but traditionally, we use absence of information as underspecification in
various contexts.

good night, oe