[developers] Generation with unknown words

Alexander Kuhnle aok25 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 6 11:48:22 CET 2016

Dear all,

We came across the problem of generating from MRS involving unknown words, for instance, in the sentence “I like porcelain.” (parsing gives "_porcelain/NN_u_unknown_rel"). Is there an option for ACE so that these cases can be handled?
Moreover, we came across the example “The phosphorus self-combusts.” vs ?“The phosphorus is self-combusted.” Where the first doesn’t parse, the second does, but doesn’t generate (again presumably because of "_combusted/VBN_u_unknown_rel"). It seems to not recognise verbs with a “self-“ prefix, but does for past participles.

Many thanks,
Alex