[developers] Generation with unknown words

Ann Copestake aac10 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 19:28:39 CET 2016

That could be helpful - thanks!

I would like to see a decoupling of the predicate normalisation from the
question of what ACE or the LKB or whatever does.  I think predicate
normalisation can perfectly well be treated as a *MRS <-> *MRS
conversion which could be provided by an external tool.  The realiser
itself should work with whatever predicates come out of the unknown word
mechanism.  In fact, I think that for what Alex is doing, not
normalising would be perfectly fine.

That said, it would be good to provide a method for predicate
normalisation using the rules the grammar writer defines already in
conjunction with a large stem list, defaulting to no stemming with words
which weren't on the list.  My reasoning is:

- we want a solution which works for languages other than English

- as far as possible, we want this to be under grammar writer control.
e.g., in the case where the grammar writer finds a particular stem which
is treated incorrectly, they can add it to the list appropriately (or
the irregs file).

The main applications I can see for normalisation are cases where there
is some external resource of some description which needs stem-based
predicates - e.g., automatically created transfer rules. I think it's
only needed for regeneration in the situation where one needs to change
tense or plurality, etc and where the predicate normalisation is part of
the mechanism for telling the morphology generation what the stem is.

I may well be missing something, though.  It's one of these cases where
I remember being involved in a discussion, possibly in Jerez, but not
the content of the discussion.

All best,

Ann