[developers] Lexical rules changing predicate symbols

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 14:57:49 CEST 2016

Hi Emily et al,

A very very belated response to a message from months ago - I had
started creating a long reply, thought I had lost it, and now discovered
it hanging around, so thought I might as well send it. I feel I was
agreeing with your message, but just trying to put some flesh on it from
my own viewpoint.

Here are some thoughts, more related to trying to distinguish between
the contexts where we might use different bits of machinery, but trying
to link up with the theoretical issues.  I'm afraid I know so little
about phonology that I have no clue about words-for-phonology, but I
have some ideas about words-for-syntax vs words-as-lexicalised-units vs
words-as-writing-convention. I'm going to say some thing which are maybe
too basic below, but I feel it's important to be specific (and I never
know exactly when people are going to disagree with me ...)

1. The criterion for representing something as a pattern (where I'm
trying to use `pattern' as a general term, to include rules, types and
sense-changes), rather than just listing, is that it should demonstrate
at least semi-productivity - i.e., there is a pattern that is
sufficiently regular that capturing it should be part of an ideal
synchronic description of a language
       - of course there are different notions of productivity depending
on whether one is thinking of an individual speaker or a language
community.  If the former, there's the distinction between adult native
speakers, children and second language learners - we can distinguish
between idioms of encoding and decoding - we can also distinguish
between the dimensions of psycholinguistic evidence, behaviour and and
people's own self-awareness.  Computationally, the test is whether or
not it's useful, and that may not exactly match any of these.
Computational usefulness might be about coverage (in which case it's
reasonable to balance with problems about ambiguity) but it could also
be about learnability in some contexts (possibly not so relevant for
DELPH-IN).

2. the (semi-)productive pattern can't be described as part of syntax
without serious problems - most obviously because it's happening within
a `word' (according to whatever notion of word is being worked with ...)
- and it's not part of an inflectional morphological paradigm.  I would
ideally want to have the option of treating some phenomena as
essentially syntactic within a word-as-writing-convention, if the
conventional word boundary notion just doesn't work well.  (The paper
that Guy wrote for HPSG 2015 is relevant here.)  I don't think that
really happens much in English, where at least partial lexicalisation
seems to operate rather generally on words (and also on some phrases).
But in other languages, it just seems to be the case that the notion of
word really doesn't work in the same way.  That is to say - there's a
notion of `word' which is a rather arbitrary artifact of writing systems
and it's not at all clear we should spend much effort trying to preserve
that, when we'd be better off segmenting and treating the segments as
things that the syntax can operate on.  Whether or not we get
lexicalisation, as evidenced by idiosyncratic syntax, semantics,
phonology or whatever, seems a better guide to whether we should regard
something as a word-for-syntax, because it will correlate with what
humans learn as a unit.  However, for practical DELPH-IN grammar
purposes, we are currently somewhat stuck with using the units we're
given by the convention of a language, and then having to do other forms
of processing to construct the words-for-syntax (in the case of
multiword expressions) or using syntax-like lexical-rules or similar (in
the case where the conventional word is too big).

3. but there is a relationship with syntax
- There are meaning shifts that I wouldn't suggest trying to capture at
all in a DELPH-IN grammar because they don't interact with syntax, and
hence we'd simply introduce ambiguity - they can be treated by
operations on the meaning space that a single predicate symbol gives us,
possibly as a post-processing step. This isn't a very clear division
because there are some cases which do interact but do so in a rather
marginal way.  For instance, strawberry the fruit is much more likely to
be used as a mass term than strawberry the plant, and the fruit/plant
polysemy is almost fully productive in English but is not found in all
languages.  So this would meet my ideal linguistic criteria of a pattern
but is too fine-grained for us to want to capture it in the ERG, given
that the grammar allows many words to be general between mass and
count.  In any case, as long as we can easily reconstruct that we have a
necessarily mass-context, a necessarily count-context or a vague
context, we can do what we need to with postprocessing.  The same
applies with the good old grinding examples, of course.

4. By this point, we have a choice between a lexical rule with some sort
of explicitly-specified semantic content and, on the new proposal, one
that just changes the sense in the predicate (along with whatever
syntactic effect we're aiming at capturing).  The former case is clearly
appropriate for stuff which is very like a syntax operation but just
happens to operate on units which are smaller than the conventional word
boundary.  For instance, in Semitic languages which represent a subject
as an affix on the verb, it seems clear this is something that we'd want
to treat very like a syntactic rule, and our current notion of lexical
rule is fine for that.

On the other hand, as you said, there are other processes where the
pattern is regular but with some exceptions, and where the precise
semantic effect is difficult to pin down.  Much of English derivational
morphology falls into this class - it is useful to represent the
relationship with the stem somehow, without claiming that we're
capturing everything there is to say.  e.g., "unkind" definitely has
some relationship with (a sense of) "kind", and it's useful to know
about that, but there are some idiosyncratic aspects of its meaning.
Similarly, I'd say it's useful to represent the relationship between
nouns denoting dances and the corresponding verbs (tango etc), which is
productive, but I'm quite content to do that via a predicate changing
operation.

Evidence for a psycholinguistic distinction between these two classes is
far messier than one would like, and in any case, `lexicalisation' can
operate in situations like adjective noun combination, which we think of
as clearly part of syntax, but I think we just have to accept that our
representational devices have to cut the world into classes which miss
some nuances.  At least until deep learning comes along to save us ...

Anyway, in terms of the current way I'm thinking about compositionality,
predicate changing operations belong in Phase 1, which isn't subject to
the same sort of monotonicity constraint as Phase 2.

All best,

Ann