[developers] ACE on Ubuntu on Windows

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Wed Nov 16 19:51:04 CET 2016

hi guy, joshua, and woodley,

> If I leave the two itsdb lines of the makefile commented out, it still
> throws an error saying capi_printf is undefined (itsdb.o, in function
> "captured_capi_printf", itsdb.c line 20).
>
> If I uncomment those two lines, it says:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -litsdb
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpvm3

i know very little about the environment that apparently allows one to
compile Un*x software in Windoze 10, but i doubt linking in [incr
tsdb()] support will be an easy path.  the necessary libraries are
easily available, for example in
$LOGONROOT/lingo/lkb/lib/linux.x86.64/: ‘libpvm.a’ and ‘libitsdb.a’.
but these are compiled in a native 64-bit Linux environment, so might
or might not work in your set-up (just as seems the case for the
pre-compiled ACE binaries).

if you go down this path, you should make sure to use corresponding
versions of the header files, i.e. ‘pvm3.h’ and ‘itsdb.h’ from
$LOGONROOT/lingo/lkb/include/.

[incr tsdb()] support should be relatively isolated in the ACE code
base, so i suspect it might not take a C developer very much time to
add a compile-time option that makes [incr tsdb()] support an optional
feature (the corresponding option in the PET code base is called
‘TSDBAPI’).

best, oe