[developers] ACE on Ubuntu on Windows

Arne Skjærholt arnsholt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:08:10 CET 2016

On 16 November 2016 at 19:51, Stephan Oepen <oe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> i know very little about the environment that apparently allows one to
> compile Un*x software in Windoze 10, but i doubt linking in [incr
> tsdb()] support will be an easy path.  the necessary libraries are
> easily available, for example in
> $LOGONROOT/lingo/lkb/lib/linux.x86.64/: ‘libpvm.a’ and ‘libitsdb.a’.
> but these are compiled in a native 64-bit Linux environment, so might
> or might not work in your set-up (just as seems the case for the
> pre-compiled ACE binaries).
Adding the headers and libraries with -I and -L should work fine. The
Windows 10 Linux layer (Windows Services for Linux, if memory serves)
is more or less an ELF loader and a shim between the ELF process and
the rest of the OS that translates Linux syscalls into Windows
syscalls, so unless the itsdb code invokes some kind of esoteric
syscall, everything should run fine.

Sounds like what Guy wants is to check out the part of the LOGON tree
with the relevant bits of code and library, and point the ACE Makefile
at that (with a bit of luck there's a variable CFLAGS where you can
put the -I and LDFLAGS for the -L).