[developers] Latest ERG not generating unknown names with ACE

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Mon Apr 17 23:16:26 CEST 2017

The mechanism for those post generation token mapping rules is enabled
only when at least one rule is defined, so that makes sense.

During parsing, the link from the surface form of "Ubuntu" to the CARG
of the named_rel is a bit circuitous, and involves token mapping rules.
Those not generally being available at generation time, an alternate
strategy was in use in ACE, and I assume the LKB as well.  In ACE's
case, I go to the trouble of manufacturing a new lexical entry structure
for easier bookkeeping when instantiating a generic lexical entry during
generation, and that structure has a slot separate from the feature
structure in which the (uninflected) orthography is stored for ease of
reference. The CARG was copied there when instantiating this type of
generic, and that same field was referenced when reading out realization
results.

Enter the post-generation token mapping setup (which I believe would be
more correctly called post-generation lexeme mapping as currently
implemented...).  The orthography read out in that mode comes from the
ORTH list on the feature structure (or value of lex-stem-path).  I'm not
able at the moment to reconstruct why I set it up differently, but just
now it seems a perfectly reasonable place to go hunting for the surface
value.  That value is stipulated as "_generic_proper_ne" or some such
for proper names, hence the trouble.  I've committed a change to the ACE
trunk that causes the generic lexical entry instantiation for generation
mechanism to edit that ORTH list in addition to what it did previously
(i.e. just editing its quick-reference copy of that list), which seems
more consistent at least, if not fully above board.  The change seems to
have the desired effect, i.e. "Ubuntu" comes out instead of
"_generic_proper_ne".

-Woodley