[developers] Difference between neg_rel/modifiers and modals

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 18 17:01:01 CEST 2017

I do think it's really important to be clear what the goals are. Are you
trying to figure out what the representation should be in terms of the
underlying semantics?  Because then talking about negation events could
well be problematic.  There are moves one can make which might work -
e.g., situations in Barwise and Perry terms (but then that doesn't
necessarily fit with other things we're doing) - but one can't simply
write e.g., not(e,P) and assume it's meaningful.  I mean, maybe you want
e to refer to the period of time when not(P) holds.  But I guess you can
see that this is not something that is obviously OK.

Alternatively, you're essentially leaving the object language up to
someone else and trying to come up with a representation which captures
the right things about the syntax/semantics interface. But I still think
you have to know something about plausible target object languages.

All best,

Ann