[developers] Subordinating Pairs Analysis

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 20:35:00 CEST 2017

So the question is whether the "but" should be part of the semantics?  I
think the "although" part clearly has to be there.

Reasoning along the same lines as English "if ... then", the "then" is
optional and doesn't seem to convey additional meaning, so if the
analogous situation held, there would be an argument for omitting the
"but".

That said, I do see a contrast between:

If they win, I'll regret saying the manager was an idiot.

If they win, THEN I'll regret saying the manager was an idiot.

I can imagine that not having anything in the MRS corresponding to
`then' might make accounting for that more difficult.  I'm not
suggesting a change in the ERG, just thinking it has some possible
downsides and shouldn't necessarily be taken as determining what's done
in other grammars in this respect.

All best,

Ann