[developers] [Matrix-dev] poll: stack exchange?

Guy Emerson gete2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 20:11:33 CEST 2017

I think having a better public-facing Q&A site would be a great idea, but I
don't think Stack Exchange is the way to go.  Following Mike's link, it
says that "10 questions per day on average is a healthy beta, 5 questions
or fewer per day needs some work".  So we're unlikely to be able to set up
a Delph-in Stack Exchange site.  We could try to create a Delph-in tag, as
Mike suggested, and to answer Emily, it's possible to subscribe to a tag,
which would give high precision and recall.

However, if we use an existing site, we have to stick to their rules - and
looking through the most recent threads in the developers list archive, it
looks like the majority of threads would not be considered appropriate as
Stack Exchange questions, because they can't be marked as having a correct
answer (asking for advice, starting discussions, making announcements) and
even the ones that would be appropriate (asking how to solve a bug, asking
how to do a specific thing) often lead to a back-and-forth discussion that
would be awkward on Stack Exchange.  So I don't think we can replace the
mailing lists with Stack Exchange.

A forum with threads might be more appropriate, and would have a friendlier
interface than http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/