[developers] ACE input for non-English Text (and general)

David Inman davinman at uw.edu
Wed Aug 2 23:41:02 CEST 2017

This is probably directed to Woodley,

I am trying to run ACE locally on my Mac to parse Nuuchahnulth. However I
am running into the same problem I am currently having on Ubuntu, which is
that it cannot handle my special characters in interactive mode (in Ubuntu
I have the somewhat worse problem of available keyboards). I load my
grammar in interactive mode, and then type in:

haʔuk

It does not parse.

I type :c for the parse chart, and the parse chart believes it has read in :

HA îuk

which of course does not exist in the lexicon.

I know that ACE is used for Japanese and other languages, and OSX is
Unicode throughout: is there anything I need to do so that I can input my
alphabet?