[developers] What does it mean in ACE for a predicate to be 'covered' in generation?

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Wed Dec 13 04:21:29 CET 2017

Hi Developers,

I'm trying to generate with the ERG and ACE from semantics transfered from
Jacy via JaEn. I'm finding that the JaEn grammar has gone stale in parts
compared to the predicates used in the current Jacy and ERG (e.g., coord vs
coord_c in Jacy, and _good_a_at-for_rel vs _good_a_at-for-of_rel in the
ERG). I'm updating those that are simple (like the above). Some predicates,
however, appear to be valid already, but ACE still gives me messages like
this:

    WARNING: EP 'time_n' is not covered
    NOTE: EP 'time_n' is unknown in the semantic index

time_n does in fact exist in the SEM-I (in etc/abstract.smi), although it
is also on the "block" list of etc/patches.lisp. Another example is
place_n, which occurs in etc/abstract.smi and is not blocked, but I get a
similar message from ACE.

How does ACE determine if a predicate is covered or not?

--
Michael Wayne Goodman
Ph.D. Candidate, UW Linguistics