[developers] What does it mean in ACE for a predicate to be 'covered' in generation?

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Wed Dec 13 06:43:45 CET 2017

Hi Mike,

An EP is covered if a grammar entity (lexeme or rule) can be found that supplies that EP while not introducing any other EPs that can't be reconciled to the input semantics.  So possibly what you are observing is that while place_n and time_n exist in the grammar (and SEM-I), if memory serves, every way to introduce them also introduces some other EP, e.g "when" is which_q time_n I think.  In this situation, if which_q were not in the input then "when" would not be activated, so time_n would risk being not covered (although there are other combinations that can cover it too).

Might this be consistent with your experience?

Woodley