[developers] INDEX on scopal modifiers

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Fri Dec 22 18:06:43 CET 2017

Hi all,

I suspect I've asked questions similar to this one before, but the answer
has not stayed with me, so please forgive the repeat.

In the Grammar Matrix, like the ERG, we are careful to pass up the INDEX of
the head daughter in scopal head-mod structures (more precisely, the HOOK
comes from the non-head daughter, so the scopal modifiers themselves
identify their INDEX with their MOD's INDEX.

My question is: Why?  What else in the grammar(s) ever wants the index of
the head inside that scopal-head-adj structure?

Thanks,
Emily

--
Emily M. Bender