[developers] INDEX on scopal modifiers

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 23 13:18:32 CET 2017

Hi Emily,

I suspect I'm totally misunderstanding, but ...

The answer to why do we ever care about the index would be because there
could be later attachment of non-scopal modifiers, or auxiliaries
affecting tense etc.

The dog had probably slept.

But I guess you're asking about the coindexation of the scopal
modifier's index with the head's index - and it seems that doesn't
happen in the ERG at least for that example.  At least, I've just
checked using the demo, and the ARG0 of `probably' is not coindexed with
the ARG0 of `slept'.

All best,

Ann