[developers] LOGON vs. LKB installation

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Fri Jan 12 23:18:37 CET 2018

hi glenn,

> Where each installation page contains minor flaws or incomplete information, it is sometimes corrected or provided in the other.

for the past fifteen or so years, i have put most of my effort into
making the LOGON distribution easy to install and use.  the automated
LKB-only installation (and associated instructions) was something i
had developed prior to the LOGON project.

when i started the LOGON distribution, i actually tried to address
some of the deficiencies we had encountered in the older LKB-only
set-up over the years, so some differences in delivery and
configuration are deliberate.  also, the two distributions should in
principle be able to co-exists (each in its own directory space),
hence they intentionally use separate environment variables.

maintenance of the LKB-only builds has been provided by UW for the
past decade or so.

i would be grateful to hear about any flaws or missing information you
encounter in the LOGON installation instructions.

as you say, the two modes of delivery have quite different goals:
LKB-only yields a small installation that used to be suitable for
initial teaching usage; LOGON bundles a much larger selection of
DELPH-IN and non–DELPH-IN tools and also provides some add-on
functionalities in the LKB and [incr tsdb()].  the following page is
an attempt to at least spell out some of these differences:

  http://moin.delph-in.net/LogonIdiosyncrasies

however, glancing at that page, i suspect the first two sections no
longer apply today: i have regularly merged LKB and [incr tsdb()] code
changes between the two branches, and i believe the UW builds nowadays
incorporate the same unicode support and possibly also enable LUI by
default.

best wishes, oe