[developers] [Emb-students] unicode in lui window titles

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Mon Feb 19 23:22:36 CET 2018

Hi again,

I can report that when using the Unity window manager, the problem goes 
away for me -- i.e. with that WM, yzlui window titles show unicode 
correctly.  The WM I usually use is a bit less feature-packed.  I would 
be curious to hear whether others have encountered this issue.  What WM 
are you using, Joshua?


On 02/19/2018 02:19 PM, Woodley Packard wrote:
> Hi Joshua and Stephan,
> The log file you produced shows that the LKB is indeed producing 
> commands that could be expected to result in legible window titles.  I 
> can reproduce the problem at my end, both using the commands from the 
> log you sent and using Greek examples.  I'm not sure what's going on 
> though.  The code that sets the window title uses what I believe is 
> the appropriate UTF8-enabled mechanism. Furthermore, querying the 
> window's properties with "xprop" reveals that the name is indeed 
> loaded into the X server correctly, including the locale, e.g.:
> $ xprop # and then click on the LUI window in question
>         window state: Normal
>         icon window: 0x7eef60
> WM_ICON_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "`ʔu-hədʔiw̓-t čəxʷ ʔu ti sqʷəbayʔ' 
> Simple MRS Display"
> WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "`ʔu-hədʔiw̓-t čəxʷ ʔu ti sqʷəbayʔ' Simple MRS 
> Display"
> _MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x2, 0x0, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0
> I suppose it could be a question of the font the window manager is 
> using?  I'm not sure where to go next.  I think I will try with some 
> other window mangers and see if it makes a difference.
> Best,
> Woodley
> On 02/19/2018 01:20 PM, Joshua Crowgey wrote:
>> Thanks for the prompt reply.  I found the debug log file where you said
>> it would be.  It's attached.
>> On 02/19/2018 01:15 PM, Stephan Oepen wrote:
>>> hi joshua,
>>> not sure the expert is at their desk already, but i doubt this problem
>>> originates on the lisp side.  i rather suspect that the routines to
>>> set the window title in LUI may predate its update to full unicode
>>> support (using the pango library).
>>> to aid debugging, there should be a file ‘yzlui.debug.jcrowgey’ (or
>>> the like), probably in your ‘/tmp/’ directory.  could you email that
>>> file
>>> it should contain the full commands sent from the LKB to LUI and
>>> should be encoded in UTF-8.  the string transmitted as the window
>>> title occurs towards the end of the ‘tree’ command, for example.
>>> best, oe
>>> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Joshua Crowgey <jcrowgey at uw.edu> 
>>> wrote:
>>>> Hello developers,
>>>> I find that when I look at a parse result using LUI and LKB, the
>>>> characters used in the tree display and in the semantics (in a Simple
>>>> MRS display) look great, but the window-title leaves a bit to be 
>>>> desired.
>>>> Of course, it's not a very big deal since the important part is the
>>>> content of the window, not its title, but if there's some easy fix 
>>>> that
>>>> you all may know of, I would be happy to hear about it.
>>>> I attach three screenshots as an example.  In one, I'm showing the the
>>>> top of a terminal emulator which has a pwd that's a Lushootseed
>>>> sentence.  This is just to show that generally, the window titles 
>>>> on my
>>>> system look fine even with Unicode (I'm using i3wm on debian --- I 
>>>> don't
>>>> know if that's relevant).  Then, the other two show a parse 
>>>> result.  You
>>>> can see that the text in the tree nodes and in the semantic 
>>>> relations is
>>>> fine, but the window title has a lot of tofu.
>>>> I'm not skilled enough with LISP to fix this myself in any reasonable
>>>> amount of time, so I thought I'd ask the experts.
>>>> Tyty!
>>>> -- 
>>>> Joshua Crowgey
> _______________________________________________
> Emb-students mailing list
> Emb-students at u.washington.edu
> http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/emb-students

More information about the developers mailing list