[developers] PyDelphin's future

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Wed Apr 25 20:20:47 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

The quiz has been open for about 2.5 weeks and I now have 13 responses.
Thanks to those who participated! I'll leave the quiz open for a bit in
case this email reminds someone who wanted to respond. A summary of the

The most common usage of PyDelphin is as a Python 3 library (85%), then
indirectly (e.g., through a demo; 54%), then as a Python 2 library (31%),
and as a command (23%).

The most used features are, as I expected, *MRS inspection (77%), the ACE
interface (62%), and SimpleMRS (de)serialization (54%), and [incr tsdb()]
support (39%). I did not expect that SimpleDMRS serialization, DMRS-PENMAN
serialization, and TDL parsing and inspection were also commonly used, all
at 39%. The remaining serialization formats are MRX (23%), MRS-JSON (31%),
DMRX (31%), DMRS-JSON (23%), DMRS-tikz (for LaTeX; 15%), EDS (native; 15%),
EDS-JSON (0%), EDS-PENMAN (0%). I was happy to see 2 respondents (15%)
using the relatively new SEM-I module, and one (8%) using the VPM module.
The YY Tokens and Derivation modules both had 3 users (23% each), and the
web interface had 4 users (31%).

here.

There were 9 responses for desired features, and I was not surprised to see
"more documentation" as a popular choice (56%). PyDelphin has fairly
thorough API documentation and some literate unit tests, but not so much of
beginner-level tutorials and small examples. I was, however, surprised to
see a demand for more TDL features (compiling at 44%, serialization at 33%,
and interactive unification at 22%). For *MRS, people wanted scope
resolution (44%) and modification (33%), but none of the respondents wanted
RMRS or DM support (although I note that DM is often used by researchers
outside of DELPH-IN; e.g., https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.05990.pdf). There
were 3 people who wanted REPP tokenization in some form. Features with one
vote include: increasing performance, integration with NLTK, DMRX
serialization without the root <dmrs-list> node, and predicate string
manipulation.

I'll be considering these responses as I prepare the next releases of
PyDelphin. My current plan looks like this (listing the major changes only):

* v0.7.0 (nearly complete) improves [incr tsdb()] support and adds
MRS-Prolog exporting and maybe a REPP tokenizer

* v0.8.0 improve TDL support

* v0.9.0 *MRS improvements: manipulation and scope resolution

* v1.0.0 restructure the PyDelphin module hierarchy and remove deprecated
functionality, add more testing and documentation

I don't know if I'll be able to continue working on PyDelphin once I find
employment, so for v1.0.0 (if I get there) I want to make the code clean,
correct, and easy to maintain so that someone else can easily take over as
the maintainer, or as a co-maintainer, of PyDelphin (email me if you're
interested!). If nobody volunteers I'll arrow Francis for the job, but I'm
hoping an interested student will step up.

Thank you

--
Michael Wayne Goodman