[developers] Issues appending diff-lists

Guy Emerson g.e.t.emerson at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:22:44 CEST 2018

I think there might be a quicker solution in this case (without replacing
all diff-lists with "emerson-lists").

1-plus-list misleadingly named, because it actually insists on at least two
elements in the list (1 plus something nonempty). If you use "QUE.LIST
cons", that will insist on at least one element -- as long as the end of
the list is closed.  It looks like you're already closing the list (by
using "LIST 0-1-list" or "LIST 1-list").  Closing a diff-list is dangerous
because you'll never be able to append to it later, but as long as you're
doing that at the top of the tree where you're not expecting any more QUE
elements, that should be okay.

So at the top of the tree, you could have "QUE [ LIST cons, LAST null ]".
Then you know you have at least one thing on the list (but will not be able
to add anything more).