[developers] doc-strings in TDL for DELPH-IN

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Sat Aug 4 05:57:33 CEST 2018

G'day,

I am starting a new thread as the other one was getting quite long:
thanks Michael for starting the original discussion.

We need doc-strings working to move forward with the new linguistic
type documentation.   It is a great pity that Stephan,Woodley, Michael
Glenn and Ann were not there on that day, but we reached a broad
consensus at Paris that triple double quotes ' """  ' was a good
delimiter, with them basically allowed after the types.  We have (if I
understand correctly) code for PET from Rebecca, and code for the LKB
(from Dan, although it may need to be extended to the instances).

Woodley currently has a working implementation with just ' " ' (but
only after := , not for example, :+) which allows for escaped quotes '
\" ' which currently the LKB does not allow.

Could we move forward with the """ option, nicely documented by Michael here:

http://moin.delph-in.net/TdlRfc

I would go for one doc-string per type and doc strings in addendums
concatenating with the origins.

Could we try to reach consensus as soon as possible?   I do not want
it to drift away again, as it has so many times in the past, ...

--
Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies