[developers] doc-strings in TDL for DELPH-IN

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Sat Aug 4 20:52:23 CEST 2018

Hi Francis, thanks for keeping the conversation alive.

We're in agreement about the triple-quoted docstrings, and that a docstring
in a type addendum should be concatenated to any docstrings from previous
type definitions/addenda.

The remaining issue is placement, and what you advocate (basically Option 3
on the wiki) brings up a disconnect between the conventional way of
describing types (supertypes before features) and what's formally allowed
by (our current implementations of) TDL (rearrangeable terms). Also, type
addenda do not require supertypes at all. I'll try to avoid getting into
this quagmire again lest it stall the conversation, and instead offer two
simpler choices (ignoring other alternatives), either of which would allow
you to do what you want:

(1) we change our TDL-parsers to ensure that top-level supertypes, if any,
appear before other terms

(2) we allow a docstring to appear before any top-level term (Option 2 on
the wiki) or before the final . character, but only one per
(type/addendum/instance) definition

Above, (1) is the heavier solution that may break backward compatibility
with some grammars, while (2) would allow you to put docstrings where you
don't necessarily want them (but you can always follow your own
convention). I'm happy to support either.