[developers] doc-strings in TDL for DELPH-IN

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 28 00:22:45 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Thanks to the developers who have coordinated efforts so smoothly for these doc strings in TDL.  I am happy to report that for each of the following platforms, I have been able to successfully (compile and) load and run the trunk version of the ERG suitably modified to use the new doc-string format for comments on all of the 1250 leaf lexical types in the grammar:

LKB and LKB_FOS -- Using the latest versions available for download from the DELPH-IN LkbInstallation pages, both still require the ERG-supplied patch to the function read-tdl-type-comment() in erg/lkb/patches.lsp, but with this patch, the grammar with new doc-strings loads and runs fine.  It would be nice to have developer-approved versions of this function instead of the patch, since any other grammar employing these new doc-strings will also currently need to include this patched version of the function.

PET -- Using the latest `main' SVN branch, the updated grammar compiles, loads, and runs fine, with one surprising caveat: for some reason, two of the three files containing the new doc-strings (letypes.tdl and auxverbs.tdl) will not compile unless they include a final commented-out line with a particular number of characters.  See the note at the end of each of these files; it would be nice to chase down and correct this hiccup, though it might not be urgent.  Other grammar developers should monitor the behavior with their grammars in the meantime.

ACE -- Using the `trunk' SVN version, the updated grammar compiles, loads, and runs fine.  It would be good to now update the precompiled ACE binary on the ACE home page, so the ERG (and possibly other updated grammars) will work.

I haven't yet checked to see if the latest PyDelphin is happy with this version, but will soon, unless Mike or Angie get there first (once I check in the ERG changes).  I also don't know whether `agree' is ready to accept the new doc-strings.

Next steps:

  1.  I will check in the updated `trunk' ERG, and hope that the ACE binary on that home page will be updated soon, for those who might be using the trunk ERG but not compiling their own ACE.
  2.  It would be good to have the $LOGONROOT/uio/bin/linux.x86.64 binaries for `flop' and `cheap' updated to be consistent with the `main' branch of PET, since the existing ones cannot compile what I will check into the trunk ERG (soon to be stable version "2018").

I'll hold off for a day in checking in the new ERG, in case anyone can foresee a reason for a different sequence of events to get us to a happier future consistent state of the world that embraces the new doc-strings.

 Dan