[developers] More TDL cobwebs

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 21:42:51 CEST 2018

Hi John,

I'm glad we're in agreement on nearly every point, and I'm also interested
to hear the perspectives of grammar writers.

Regarding the DQStrings / DocStrings, the context can disambiguate some,
but not all, of these ambiguities. For the first one ( """"" a docstring
""" ), this should only be valid if the docstring is one that precedes the
final dot (otherwise there must be a & between "" and """):

    a-type := """"" a docstring """.

So I don't think this one is in fact ambiguous. The latest PyDelphin,
however, does not parse this correctly because it sees the first """ and
commits to parsing a docstring. Parsing it correctly would require more
lookahead or backtracking. It may be worth noting that it is much easier to
parse if the DQString is non-empty (i.e., """" (4 "s) is not ambiguous).
I'm not certain why the second example is ambiguous. It should be a
docstring preceding a term which is an empty string. Inside a docstring,
the first sequence of 3 unescaped double-quotes always terminates the
docstring.

I agree that the final example ( """""""" ) is indeed ambiguous, but the
context helps sometimes:

    a-type := b & """""""" .  ; DQString followed by a DocString
    a-type := """""""" & b.  ; DocString followed by a DQString
    a-type := """"""" .  ; truly ambiguous

While these cases should never come up in practice, they represent an
annoying gap in the TDL syntax description. Maybe we can just add a note
saying that """ always starts/ends DocStrings, and if a grammar writer
wants an empty DQString followed by a DocString as the final term in a
top-level conjunction, they must insert a space between the two ( "" """a
docstring""" ). I think this could be enforced in the description by
modifying DQString to ensure an empty string is not followed by a
double-quote character:

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman