[developers] SEM-I question: properties on 'i' variables

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 12 23:08:48 CET 2018

i have come to think of the optionality marking by square brackets in
the SEM-I as theoretically ill-founded.  at present, those brackets
indicate, if anything, an incomplete notion of syntactic optionality.
there are many valid usages of ERG predicates where arguments not
marked as optional in the SEM-I can remain unexpressed.  from static
inspection of the lexicon and rules it seems practically impossible to
predict an actual notion of semantic optionality in ERSs, if such a
notion could in fact be made theoretically consistent :-).

personally, i would caution against reading much if anything into
those square brackets, and i would probably not be sad to outright
ditch them.

oe