[developers] a toy grammar not working in LKB FOS and logon dist

Olga Zamaraeva olzama at uw.edu
Wed May 29 19:24:21 CEST 2019

Dear developers,

We've been using a toy grammar (attached) in an introductory CompLing class
here at UW for a number of years. Mostly we've been using it with a VM that
was built for the grammar engineering class, but I seem to be remembering
very positively that I used to be able to use it with e.g. LKB FOS a year
ago.

This year at least, it seems like I cannot use it with either LKB FOS or
the logon distribution of the LKB. On both versions of the LKB, I observe
the following:

1) The grammar doesn't load, complaining about the NULL type:

[image: Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.13.14 AM.png]

2) I suspected that this is because, in types.tdl, *null* has asterisks but
in e.g. user-fns.lsp it does not? Removing asterisks around null seems to
help with the errors but it doesn't look like the grammar is working: there
are no parses or even parse charts produced.

Would anyone be so kind to take a look and advise me as to how to update
the toy grammar so it is working? Or perhaps this sounds like something in
my (two!) setups?..

Thank you,
--
Olga Zamaraeva