[developers] LUI binaries in the main LKB repository

John Carroll J.A.Carroll at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 18:58:31 CET 2019

Hi,

A few clarifications below to recent points / questions. (I hope you don't mind me lumping them into one email but it saves unnecessary traffic).

> On 12 Dec 2019, at 22:38, Alexandre Rademaker <arademaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ... As far as I understand, Lui offer more visualisations than the ones presented in LKB, right? Of course, it is also necessary for interactive use of Ace.

When used with the LKB, Lui visualises a subset of what the LKB can (the main difference being that the LKB can visualise the type hierarchy). But I think most people prefer the Lui output format for feature structures and MRSes. Maybe also the parse chart.

Olga pointed out Lui's problems with Unicode on macOS. The LKB native visualisations do not have these problems.

> On 12 Dec 2019, at 19:50, Alexandre Rademaker <arademaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, the LKB limitation of being dependent on CLIM is not true anymore with the LKBFos, right?

LKBFos uses McCLIM, which is an open source implementation of CLIM. I think McCLIM is the nearest there's ever going to be to a an open source platform-independent graphical framework for Common Lisp. Its main drawback is lack of 'native' backends - it relies on X Windows (apart from a couple of experimental backends for Windows which are not robust).

John