[developers] Infrastructure notes

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 07:58:28 CEST 2020

Hello,

Thanks again to everyone for the interesting discussion about modernizing
the DELPH-IN infrastructure at the summit. I was relatively quiet during
the discussion, but I have some thoughts below regarding the mailing list.

I agree it would be sad if the mailing list went away. Fortunately, there
is a new version of Mailman that runs on Python 3 (see https://list.org/).
Python's own mailing lists run it (here's an example of python-ideas:
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/). It has
some nice features, but I'm not really fond of the archives view compared
to the dense thread view of Mailman2 (e.g.,
http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/developers/2020/). Maybe it can be
configured to look more like this?

I also wouldn't mind using the Discourse site as our mailing list manager,
but the current UW installation is frequently down or not sending out
emails. I believe this is an issue particular to the installation and not
to Discourse itself. Beyond that, Discourse should not supplant the mailing
list unless (a) it can be used entirely via plaintext email, and (b) we can
import the existing list archives or find another solution for archival.

I'll send a second email about moving from SVN to Git.

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman