[developers] Infrastructure notes

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 11:13:50 CEST 2020

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM Olga Zamaraeva <olzama at uw.edu> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > Discourse should not supplant the mailing list unless [...] (b) we can
import the existing list archives or find another solution for archival.

> When I started advocating for a Discourse website---primarily because it
is easier to organize figures and code and to mark specific posts as being
the solutions to specific questions, which greatly improves
discoverability; so, very much not plain text---I was certainly operating
under the assumption that such an import is possible (
https://meta.discourse.org/t/importing-mailing-lists-mbox-listserv-google-groups-emails/79773).

Thanks, Olga. To clarify on that point, I appreciate and use the features
of the web interface, but if the Discourse instance is to replace the
mailing list, it should *also* be fully usable by email (by "fully" I mean
that people can follow and participate in the conversation as if it were
email; not including web-only features like thread tagging or marking posts
as solutions). The formatting in the posts, being Markdown, should be
legible in plaintext email (although HTML mail is pretty standard these
days; maybe I'm not being "modern" enough and should relax that point :).

goodman.m.w at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks again to everyone for the interesting discussion about
modernizing the DELPH-IN infrastructure at the summit. I was relatively
quiet during the discussion, but I have some thoughts below regarding the
mailing list.

>> I agree it would be sad if the mailing list went away. Fortunately,
there is a new version of Mailman that runs on Python 3 (see
https://list.org/). Python's own mailing lists run it (here's an example of
python-ideas: https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/).
It has some nice features, but I'm not really fond of the archives view
compared to the dense thread view of Mailman2 (e.g.,
http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/developers/2020/). Maybe it can be
configured to look more like this?

>> I also wouldn't mind using the Discourse site as our mailing list
manager, but the current UW installation is frequently down or not sending
out emails. I believe this is an issue particular to the installation and
not to Discourse itself. Beyond that, Discourse should not supplant the
mailing list unless (a) it can be used entirely via plaintext email, and

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman