[developers] Web interfaces

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Fri May 7 03:05:33 UTC 2021

Hi Alexandre,

I can answer a couple of your questions.

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:44 AM Alexandre Rademaker <arademaker at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> 1. http://chimpanzee.ling.washington.edu/demophin/erg/parse displays only
> DMRS. Who is the author of the dmrs.js? The DMRSs are transformed into SVG…

I'm the author of dmrs.js. I used an old version of D3.js to create the SVG
from the JSON serialization of DMRS that was developed for the DELPH-IN Web
API (called ErgAPI in the wiki: http://moin.delph-in.net/wiki/ErgApi). Here
are some links for the JSON (and other) serializations of MRS and EDS:

* http://moin.delph-in.net/wiki/MrsRfc#JSON
* http://moin.delph-in.net/wiki/EdsTop#Alternative_Serializations

You can also see examples of each in PyDelphin's documentation:

* https://pydelphin.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/delphin.codecs.html

Demophin is quite old and deprecated, but the demo instance at
washington.edu still has some value in that the newer delphin-viz demo
doesn't do generation. The dmrs.js file was updated a bit for delphin-viz,
but it's basically the same thing, along with the MRS and derivation tree
function provided by Ned Letcher. You can find the code for Demophin here,
but I'm not working on it anymore: https://github.com/goodmami/demophin

> 2. http://delph-in.github.io/delphin-viz/demo/. It shows derivation
> trees, MRS and DRMSs. Uses https://github.com/delph-in/delphin-viz, it is
> the state-of-the-art solution for displaying DELPH-IN structures? I didn't
> find documentation; how should my backend provide the data to allow this
> code to load/parse and display them on a page?

It's the non-LOGON state-of-the-art solution, I guess. Ned and I put it
together a while back. There's two parts: the visualization functions and a
demo that uses them. You can use the visualization functions without using
the demo, if you like. This implementation also differs from Demophin in
that it is only the client-side components, and it calls to some other
server (e.g., UiO's LOGON one or UW's PyDelphin-based one) for parsing.
This setup allows us to host the demo on github.io.

For serving data, I recommend using PyDelphin's web package:
https://pydelphin.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/delphin.web.html. The
delphin.web.server module makes it pretty easy to point to a grammar image
and serve responses to parse or generate requests, or to point to profiles
and serve the stored representations (note, this is only the API; there's
no front end for this feature yet). The server will provide EDS if
requested, so if you have some front end that can display them, it's ready
to go. I think dmrs.js could easily be adapted to display EDS, if you can't
get the LOGON one working.

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman