[erg] semantics of "so" as in "do so"

Paul Haley paul at haleyai.com
Wed Oct 9 14:34:36 CEST 2013

Hi Emily!

Yes, but I'm suggest that "pro-" is "pronomial" not "proto"!-)
Generally, don't we want elipsis to be reflected in the semantics?  That
is, in the "u" and "i" type variables in the MRS (or unresolved pronouns)?

Shouldn't the MRS for for that doing have an argument to be resolved
against the situational argument for the moving?  That argument would be
"so" treated as a pronoun, which seems the proper semantics since the
"so" actually/semantically references some event/situation, no?  That
is, if pronomial "so" was the direct object of "do" here, I think all
would be well.

Paul