[itsdb] pvmd3

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at cl.uni-bremen.de
Fri Mar 9 13:39:18 CET 2007

Hi,

For some reason my pvm setup stopped working. I get the following message:

stat3...
Verifying Local Path to "rsh"...
Rsh found in /usr/bin/ssh - O.K.
Testing Rsh/Rhosts Access to Host "stat3"...
Rsh/Rhosts Access is O.K.
Checking O.S. Type (Unix test) on Host "stat3"...
Host stat3 is Unix-based.
Checking $PVM_ROOT on Host "stat3"...
$PVM_ROOT on stat3 Appears O.K. ("/home/stefan/Lisp/lkb/bin/linux/")
Verifying Location of PVM Daemon Script on Host "stat3"...

PVM Daemon Script "/home/stefan/Lisp/lkb/bin/linux//lib/pvmd"
Was Not Found on stat3
Please check the setting of $PVM_ROOT...

The itsdb distribution does not come with a pvmd script. I set the
PVM_DPATH to /home/stefan/Lisp/lkb/bin/linux//lib/pvmd3 and this worked
some time ago, but now it does not.

The PVM manual says:
> PVM_DPATH The path of the pvmd startup script (default is
> $PVM_ROOT/lib/pvmd). It is overridden by host file option dx=.
>
> This variable is useful if you use a shell that doesn't automatically
> execute a startup script (such as .cshrc) to allow setting PVM_ROOT
> on slave (added) hosts. If you set it to the absolute or relative
> path of the pvmd startup script (for example /usr/local/pvm3/lib/pvmd
> or pvm3/lib/pvmd), the script will automatically set PVM_ROOT. Note
> that for this to work, you must set it to run the pvmd script, not
> the pvmd3 executable itself.

So how is the generic procedure to set up the PVM with itsdb? Do I have
to install a normal PVM distribution and then copy the pvm and pvmd3
that comes with delphin into the repsective directories?

Thanks for any suggestions

	Stefan

--
Stefan Müller

Universität Bremen/Fachbereich 10      Tel: (+49) (+421) 218-8601
Postfach 33 04 40
D-28334 Bremen

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/Babel/Interaktiv/