[lkb] Arabic Comparative Grammar suggestion

phipps at buffalo.edu phipps at buffalo.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:55:13 CEST 2005

Ahmad and the lkb community, I agree with Emily that there are not
likely to be any existing resources immediately available that will meet
your needs, so original work will probably have to be done.  There is
nontechnical work on Arabic and English within the contrastive
linguistics field that may be helpful.

I'm working on some issues in contrastive linguistics so I have included
some general resources that might be helpful; if anyone does want to
build a resource like the one Ahmed needs I'd be very interested in the
project.  I have only reviewed the Mancere article so I'm not sure about
the quality of the others, but the Abu-Arafah dissertation looks promising.

Chris Phipps
graduate student
Linguistics Department
The University at Buffalo, SUNY
wings.buffalo.edu/~phipps

________________
References for Arabic Contrastive Linguistics

Mancere, M.  1995. Meta.  Translating Arabic into English: basic
considerations in word order.

HASSAN, HASSAN M.  1990.  A CONTRASTIVE STUDY OF TENSE AND ASPECT IN
ENGLISH AND ARABIC WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO TRANSLATION.
UNIVERSITY OF BATH (UNITED KINGDOM), 1990, 249 pages

Abu-Arafah, Adnan Ghazi.  1996. A Grammar for the Arabic Language
Suitable for Machine Parsing and Automatic Text Generation.
Dissertation Abstracts International, B: Sciences and Engineering, 1996,
56, 11, May, 6217-B-6218-B

Plunkett, Bernadette.  1993. The Position of Subjects in Modern Standard
Arabic.  PERSPECTIVES ON ARABIC LINGUISTICS V: PAPERS FROM THE FIFTH
ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM ON ARABIC LINGUISTICS, Eid, Mushira, & Holes, Clive
[Eds], Amsterdam, The Netherlands: John Benjamins Publishing Company,
1993, pp 231-260

ZEINAB IBRAHIM  2000. Diversity in Language:  Contrastive Studies in
English and Arabic Theoretical Applied Linguistics. The American
University in Cairo Press.

Hatim, Basil.  1997. Communication Across Cultures:Translation Theory
and Contrastive Text Linguistics.  University of Exeter Press.

Al-Jarf, R. S. 2004. Word order errors in English-Arabic translations.
King Saud University.  (this is a pdf of a course lecture; you can find
it at
http://www.arabicwata.org/Arabic/The_WATA_Library/Lectures/Sample_Lectures/2004/february/Lecture1.pdf)