[lkb] Getting Parse results from LKB

Bernhard Fisseni bfi at ikp.uni-bonn.de
Mon Oct 16 18:09:31 CEST 2006

Dear Berthold,

Scripsit Berthold Crysmann diē 16.10.2006 16:28:
> Bernhard Fisseni wrote:
>> for a course on accesibility in the WWW, a colleague of mine and I (me)
>> we wanted to try GG as the grammar for German to avoid re-inventing
>> the grammar wheel; using LKB or pet to interface it with a tts system
>> seemed a good idea.

> this looks like a very interesting application. If you need any
> information grammar-wise, feel free to contact me.

Thank you very much for the offer!  I'll suggest GG to our students –
and tell them that there's a friendly maintainer (to prevent spamming, I
could act as a relay if you wish).

> Somewhat related to your TTS scenario, there  is  a most recent MA
> thesis submitted by Philipp von Böselager at Cologne University
> (Phonetik/Sprachliche Informationsverarbeitung), where he  interfaced
> GG (in generation mode)  with the MARY text-to-speech system, using the
> grammar as the basis for disambiguating prosody in a CTS setting. The
> component takes HPSG trees ("functional" rule back bone and labelled
> PS-tree) as input to XSLT style sheets that insert prosodic mark-up for
> the MARY TTS-engine. He also ran experiments on the disambiguation
> effect of the synthesized prosody with some good results. If you are
> interested in this work, I can let him know.

This sounds very interesting (for myself and for our course) and a bit
like the reverse of what we want to do with GG.  If he feels able to
travel the long distance from Cologne to Bonn, he would be very welcome ;-)

Cheers,
Bernhard

PS: Maybe we should continue off-list?