[matrix] Re: [rmrs] tense and mood info in rmrs

Melanie Siegel siegel at dfki.de
Wed Nov 9 09:53:47 CET 2005

Good Morning,

the current Jacy Japanese HPSG contains a variation of aspect and mood:

ASPECT
progressive
prospective
inceptive
terminative
perfective
perfect_progressive
modal

MOOD:
indicative
imperative
negative
conditional
voluntative
consultative
potential
causative

I haven't yet quite thought about representation in RMRS (i.e.,
multilingual compatibility). But my feeling is as well that we shouldn't
just add "perf" and "prog". I have documented aspect in my current
documentation efforts, but not yet mood extensively enough. Kei
Yoshimoto in his ph.d. thesis has written about Japanese and English
aspect (connected to Verbmobil translation) and transfer rules for them.

So the question would be, if it is possible at all to come up with a
representation that is useful for all languages involved. If we try,
these should certainly not only be German and English.

Best,
Melanie