[matrix] Pronoun Relations

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Sat Feb 17 01:43:20 CET 2007

Emily M. Bender wrote:
> The only non-Germanic language I can think of with English-like
> instance on overt arguments is French, and even that is questionable
> (depending on what you say about the clitics).

I have heard that some West African languages are like English (and
other Germanic languages) in this respect (although what they call
"weak" pronouns are apparently clitics; but object pronouns in English
are often clitics).  There's a short discussion of Yoruba anaphora here
     http://www.africananaphora.rutgers.edu/anaphora-yoruba.htm
which at a glance suggests that apart from "a small class of verbs",
there are no non-overt pronouns.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu