[matrix] constraint a VP to have a empty subject list

Altaf Mahmud altaf.mahmud at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:03:23 CEST 2007

Dear Madam:

Thank you so much for your kind replies. Those issues helped me a lot.
However, I created a type "subj-obj-raising-verb-lex" and constrained the
first complement to be an NP and second complement to be VP with 'infinite'
form. But I got multiple parses for some ambiguities. For example: "naafid
haammaadke ball maarte balbe"
              "Naafid Haammaad-acc ball to-throw will-tell"
              "Naafid will tell Haammaad to throw ball"

The noun 'ball' will be a complement of the verb 'maarte', but at some parse
trees 'ball' appeared to be the subject of the verb 'maarte' and spawned
into the 'head-subj' rule. Now, I want to constraint the infinite verb to
have empty subject list. I inherited the "non-finite-verb-lex" from
"basic-verb-lex" rather than "verb-lex", because "verb-lex" requires
non-empty SUBJ list. But it shows errors while I tries to load the grammar
as follows: "Atomic time NULL specified to have features at (SYNSEM LOCAL
CAT VAL SUBJ)" for each subtype of non-finite-verb-lex (intransitive,
transitive and ditransitive). So, how can I constraint the VP complement of
the "subj-obj-raising-verb-lex" type to have empty subject list?

************for non finite verbs************************

non-finite-verb-lex := basic-verb-lex &

[ SYNSEM.LOCAL [ CAT [ VAL [ SPR < >,

SPEC < >,

SUBJ < > ],

HEAD [ FORM inf,

AUX - ] ] ] ].

**************and for "subj-obj-raising-verb-lex"*************************

subj-obj-raising-verb-lex := verb-lex & ditrans-second-arg-raising-lex-item
&

[ SYNSEM.LOCAL.CAT.VAL.COMPS < #comps1, #comps2 >,

ARG-ST < [ LOCAL.CAT.HEAD noun &

[ CASE-INFLECT nom+loc ] ],

#comps1 &

[ LOCAL.CAT [ VAL [ SPR < >,