[matrix] downloading and installing LKB / The Grammar Matrix

Gertrud Faasz gertrud.faasz at tuks.co.za
Sat Mar 3 12:03:25 CET 2007

Dear all,
I'm part of a team that is determined to develop an electronic grammar
for Northern Sotho, a Southern African Bantu Language. We are located at
the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
We decided to try the Grammar Matrix and so - being very unexperienced -
we today tried to download/install the LKB and the Grammar Matrix on our
(Fedora 6) Linux PC. Unfortunately we encountered a problem that we do
not know what to do about. Please help us.

1. We encountered the following problem:

Using the download instructures (LINUX) described at
http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbInstallation) we first entered the wget
command to get the installation file. Then we tried the "install" by
using # bash install --home ~/delphin

The result was the following
------------------------
[root at b023pc151 gertrud]# bash install --home ~/delphin
install: `lkb_data.tgz' ... done.
install: `lkb_linux.x86.64.tgz' ... done.
install: `lkb_source.tgz' ... done.
install: `itsdb_libraries.tgz' ... done.
install: `itsdb_tsdb.tgz' ... done.
install: `itsdb_capi.tgz' ... done.
install:
`itsdb_linux.x86.64.tgz' ...gunzip: /root/delphin/Archives/itsdb_linux.x86.64.tgz: No such file or directory
 missing.
install: `itsdb_data.tgz' ... done.
install: `itsdb_documentation.tgz' ... done.
install: `itsdb_source.tgz' ... done.
install: `eli.tgz' ... done.
install: `erg.tgz' ... done.
install: `matrix.tgz' ... missing.
install: `spanish.tgz' ... done.

Please help.

2. Two questions

A. We did download the matrix.tgz file as it was instructed at
http://courses.washington.edu/ling471/lab1.html

...Then we were told to "unpack" the file. We would like to know if it
is to be unpacked into the .../data/itfs/grammars directory that is
described as the location for grammars in the book of Ann Copestake
(Implementing Feature Structure Grammars) or if there is another default
directory to put the grammar.

B. We created a "choices" file
.. and now we do not know how it will actually influence the Grammar, if
someone could please tell us a URL where this is explained.

Thank you ever so much in advance!

Gertrud Faasz
for the department of African Languages, UP, South Africa