[matrix] matrix - general: inserting chunks into the type hierarchy

Emily M. Bender ebender at u.washington.edu
Thu May 24 07:08:17 CEST 2007

Dear Gertrud,

With some delay, I am getting around to your question no 2.
>From the description below, it sounds to me that Northern Sotho
is very similar to many of the Romance languages, in that
verbal arguments can be expressed by affixes which are
orthographically treated as independent words.  If that's
right, my suggestion would be to attach them to the verbs
via a preprocessing step, and then treat them as morphology.
(Independent noun phrases, on the other hand, are syntax,
and thus recursive, as you note.)

Hallmarks of affixes include fixed order and lexical
idiosyncrasy of various kinds.  For the argument that French
so-called "clitics" are really affixes, see Miller and
Sag 1997 "French Clitic Movement without Clitics or Movement"
in NLLT.

As for how to implement this in a Matrix-based grammar, I
will send you a grammar of Italian that one of my students
created.  It doesn't do any of the clitic climbing, but it
does show how to do the basic clitic attachment.

Emily