[matrix] matrix - general HOOK and PRED

Gertrud Faasz gertrud.faasz at tuks.co.za
Mon May 21 12:28:32 CEST 2007

Dear all,
this is the third of a number of questions on the type hierarchy of the
grammar matrix, each we will post separately, for they touch different
issues.

question no.3 concerns information about the types

1. HOOK "external visible attributes of a sign"

Would it be possible to get more information on this one? We admit we do
not even understand the principles of this definition

especially in terms of the possible values:
LTOP "Local top handle"
INDEX "The salient nominal instance or event"
ARG "The external (controlled) argument of a phrase

Are there some examples of its use?somewhere online? We do not know how
to apply these definitions and did not find any reference in
Sag/Wasow/Bender 2003 or the Copestake book.

2. PRED

PRED is described as a binary type in Sag/Wasow/Bender 2003, but it
seems to be filled with the pos nowadays plus an extension "-rel" (we've
seen that in other grammars, however, not in our downloaded
matrix-grammar). Here, we'd also be very thankful to get an idea of its
use and the dependencies with other values as we were lost in the type
hierarchy.

Thanks a lot!
Gertrud