[matrix] Parsing prepositional phrases with customization system created grammars

Coote, Ravi ravi.coote at fkie.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 30 17:13:10 CEST 2010

Dear list,

I am trying to create a minimal grammar for english using the web based
lingo grammar customization system. The grammar fragment should be able
to parse prepositional phrases.

Could you please give me some hints, how to start with the lingo grammar
matrix to create a minimal grammar for English which is able to parse
prepositional phrases ?

I want to parse sentences like
"The dog barks near the cat."
"The dog sleeps under the tree."

Could me please give me some hints, how to start? I tell you what i know
until now:

-I can load the grammar that's created by the customization system into
LKB and extend the grammar with new rules -In the matrix there are two
rules provided for realizing modifications like those which are done by
prepositional phrases:

-scopal-mod-phrase
-intersec-mod-phrase

I suppose for prepositional phrases i have to use the rule
"intersec-mod-phrase", because prepositional phrases do an intersective
modification of, e.g., a verbal phrases. But, how do I utilize the rule
"intersec-mod-phrase" in order to let LKB parse also phrases like those
one above ("The dog barks near the cat").

What do i have to read in order to extend an english minimal grammar
with prepositional phrases created by the customization system?

Thank you for any help!

Kind Regards,

Ravi Coote