[pet] [HoG] Spanish Language

Ulrich Schaefer ulrich.schaefer at dfki.de
Mon Oct 12 23:34:59 CEST 2009

Hi Alex,
we don't have a ready-to-use solution for your request (that's also why
the demo button for ES is still disabled). Although I'm interested in a
running configuration for Spanish, I currently have no time and
resources to work on this language. However, the ingredients, i.e. NLP
components, are available. In principle, HoG modules exist for all these
components (for other languages, though):
- FreeLing for PoS tagging and morphology
http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~nlp/freeling/
- (alternatively TreeTagger, but probably missing finer grained
morphology/lexicon as required by the current deep grammar for Spanish
http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/projekte/corplex/TreeTagger/DecisionTreeTagger.html)
- PET and the Spanish Resource Grammar SRG http://www.delph-in.net/srg/
Montserrat and Luis can probably tell you more about what has to be done
to get FreeLing+SRG to run (independently of HoG).
The recommended deep-shallow integration in HoG is now via new chart
mapping interface (in addition to SRG, also the HoG FreeLing
module/interface still would have to be adapted to chart mapping instead
of SPPP). As "gold" example one could take the current
TnT/Sprout/PET+ERG integration for English (from current HoG SVN trunk)
except that the Spanish integration would in addition also include a
lexicon/morphology mapping from FreeLing (Montserrat and Luis are still
working on this I guess). However, please be aware that a robust online
integration of the pipeline requires deep knowledge about the different
formats, configurations, mappings, systems and underlying resources.

best,
-Uli

--
Dr.-Ing. Ulrich Schaefer http://dfki.de/~uschaefer phone:+496813025154
    DFKI Language Technology Lab, D-66123 Saarbruecken, Germany